One of the UK’s largest universities, with history dating back to 1862. Later became a polytechnic and received university status in 1992. Plymouth is the first modern university to set up its own medical and dental school – the Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry – and is a partner in the Combined Universities in Cornwall.Awarded a Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education in 2012 in respect of its marine and maritime work. The first university in the world to receive a Social Enterprise Mark in recognition of its sustainability.
- Over £300-million recent and ongoing investment in new buildings, on-campus student accommodation and refurbished laboratories and library.
- The Library is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week providing access to 500,000 books and multimedia resources, 22,000 journals and many international resources.
- Employability centre at the heart of the campus.
- Comprehensive IT network with 24-hour wireless access.
- Cutting-edge ’immersive vision theatre’ – the first at a UK university – gives students the opportunity to experience fieldwork conditions in advance using innovative technology.